Augmented reality or AR is a technology that, thanks to specialized software, makes it possible to add layers of visual information about physical objects. It is possible to visualize this effect with different devices such as mobile phones, tablets or even adapted glasses. E target l is to merge the real world with the virtual in order to better understand the world around us.
Although it was initially a technology for leisure, it is proven that augmented reality can be very useful in professional fields such as health or education. Especially it has been very successful in the classroom, being a method that allows you to see objects from different angles and better understand their structure and composition, in addition to being a very dynamic and original way of learning.
We will review in which aspects the augmented reality in education can help and how it is implemented in the classroom.
Advantages of Augmented Reality
This technology has many aspects that will probably begin to improve more in the coming years.
- You can interact with the real world through virtual elements S, providing us with a new perspective for storing information about different objects.
- It adapts to the context: it is very versatile when it comes to including any type of information, which will also be very easy to understand.
- Use the three dimensions: to get perspective and at the same time making possible the interaction with the physical capacities of the environment.
- It facilitates the development of skills such as concentration, memory, reasoning and resolution.
- Immersive experiences favor autonomous and active learning.
How Augmented Reality is used at the Educational level
The technology necessary to implement Augmented Reality in education is not as complex as is commonly believed. You only need a device that includes camera and processing to view the content.
Afterwards, the content is so customizable that it can be configured by teachers and adapted to any subject.
Normally it is used in Augmented Reality through QR codes or with makerless technology and as software to generate some tools: ZooBurst, Aumentary, etc.
Thanks to the augmented reality in education it is possible to convert the abstract into tangible, and with mobile applications, students can download templates or scan codes and access content. Many times these are found in the pages of textbooks so that students can complement their information with images in three dimensions related to the agenda.
It is not only used in primary and secondary education. In professional training, visual reality is used when simulating real cases, being very advantageous for students to work by recreating a real case.
The augmented reality in education is a reality that occurs little today, but thanks to the rapid advance of technologies it is estimated that it will play an important role in the future of learning.